As someone with perpetually dry lips, I’ve honed down exactly what I’m looking for in a lip balm. All I want is an everyday balm made from simple, all-natural ingredients, with no extra scent, that smells pleasant, but subtly so. I need my lip balm to be smooth, buttery, and moisturizing without being greasy. It must glide onto my lips without pulling or tugging, and it must stay put for hours.
I don’t seek novelty in scent or packaging; I desire a workhorse that performs. This is surprisingly hard to find, considering what I want is less, not more.
I found Portland Bee Balm a few years ago and it’s been my staple ever since. It’s exactly what I’ve looked for in a lip balm, and nothing more. Here’s why:
- It moisturizes my lips without adding shine. (Which makes it great for dudes, too.)
- The balm has a buttery texture that stays put and isn’t the slightest bit greasy.
- It smells warm and sweet, but barely, and tastes neutral in a good way. (No bitterness!)
- The ingredients are a short list, and are as simple and natural as can be: beeswax, coconut oil and olive oil.
- Five stars for the wood paper wrapping, which gives the tube a nice handfeel, and makes it easy to find in your purse or on your nightstand without having to look with your eyes.
(As an aside, am I the only one who finds lip balm before bed to be an essential step to sleeping well?)
The balm comes in two versions: Unscented and Oregon Mint. By now I’m sure you’ve guessed it’s the plain version that I love. It smells of warm, sweet beeswax, which quite honestly is one of the most comforting scents. My hubs uses the mint version, which is good too. It’s a subtle mint, enough scent to “be there,” but just so. Normally mint-flavored balms make my lips peel, but not this one.
I keep one on my nightstand, one in my purse, another in the car, another in my gym bag…
While writing this, I also spotted a new SPF 15 version called Solar Eclipse with non-nano zinc. I’ll have to get my hands on a tube or two before the sun breaks in the PNW.
This post is NOT sponsored by Portland Bee Balm, but I wish it was! PBB is just a product I love and use on the daily.
This post contains affiliate links. If you’ve heard of this product from me and are planning on purchasing it, I would really appreciate it if you used these links. Affiliate links allow me to continually build and share content with you. Thank you for supporting Lately Great.